Here are ten wild and crazy dental facts that will make you smile and improve your health as well.
By David M Dillon DMD
1. The average human produces 25,000 quarts of saliva in a lifetime. That is enough spit to fill 2 swimming pools!
2. You should not keep your toothbrush near a toilet. The airborne particles from the flush can travel up to a distance of 6 feet. Yuck!
3. People who drink 3 or more glasses of soda each day have 62% more tooth decay, fillings and tooth loss than others. Put down the soda and sports drinks and pick up some nice fresh water instead.
4. in 1994, a prison inmate in West Virginia braided dental floss into a rope, scaled the wall and escaped. (We suggest that you use floss to clean between your teeth instead of climbing prison walls! If you don’t you are missing around 35% of your teeth’s surfaces.)
5. You should replace your toothbrush at least every three months, and always after you have an episode of flu, cold or other viral infections. Notorious bacteria can implant themselves on the toothbrush bristles leading to re-infection.
6. Tooth enamel is the hardest substance in the human body. However, we do not recommend that you use your pearly whites to open bottle caps!
7. The standard advice to “see your dentist twice a year” was actually invented by an ad agency for Pepsodent toothpaste! Your dental professional should recommend the correct schedule for your regular dental visits.
8. A recent poll has shown that health professionals (physicians, dentists and nurses) were among the most trusted people in The United States.
9. According to a recent survey done by Time Magazine, 59% of Americans would rather have a dental appointment than be sitting next to someone talking on a cell phone. Maybe some of us should take a hint!
10. Over thee out of four people in the United States suffer from some form of gum disease. It is the leading cause of tooth loss in people over age 35. The good news is, in most cases gum disease can be prevented or controlled!